March 11, 1860, Miss Mary Sinclair, the first teacher, was paid $24 a month. The district boarded the teacher if the family had no children in school. The family received $2.00/$2.50 per week for boarding.
In 1870, Benjamin Mize repaired the school for $40 for replacing glass and sealing the windows, patching the plaster and preparing the walls for painted blackboards. Wood for heating the schools was provided by the parents. The teacher was paid $30 at this time.
In 1882, a new schoolhouse was built by G.W. Mize at a cost of $80. Waste materials salvaged from the old school, built a fence for $8. Members of the Mize family served for many years on the Nesbit-Mize School Board of Directors. The school was sold at auction on July 8, 1950 to William Cooper and torn down for lumber.
Some of the many families who attended Nesbit-Mize Schools were: Mize, Sawyer, Tiek, Kurlhaum, Throne, Coatney, Wood, and Landers.