Masonic Lodge #151
The Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, is the oldest, largest and most widely known fraternal organization in the world. The Bunker Hill Lodge, No. 151, was chartered January 17, 1856.
Pictured: The Masonic Lodge No. 151 of Bunker Hill
Pictured: Masonic Lodge No. 151 Charter
Dr. Albert Rodney Sawyer*
1st Master Mason
Master Mason 1864, 1865, 1866
- Initiated: April 5, 1860
- Passed: April 12, 1860
- Raised: April 19, 1860
- Died: May 21, 1868
In the 1920's, the Masons met in the second story rooms above the building on the northeast corner of Warren and Washington Streets. During the 1930's the meeting site was changed to a room above the former Louie's Barber Shop on West Warren Street. When this second story was destroyed in the 1948 tornado, the owner, Mr. Mercer, did not replace it. By 1950, the Masons were able to buy the Drew property on the northeast corner of Franklin and Fayette Streets and build their own lodge.
Pictured: Masonic Lodge No. 151 - Bunker Hill
Pictured: Masonic Lodge No. 151 Ashtray Pedestal
...Read more about this and other Bunker Hill, IL historical stories at https://bunkerhillhistory.org/
--Cite this story: Redford, Carol, and Betty Triplett. "Bunker Hill History." In Reflections: A History of the Bunker Hill-Woodburn Area, p. 151. Bunker Hill: Bunker Hill Publications, 1993. Provided by the Bunker Hill Historical Society.
The Bunker Hill IL Historical Society. "A Look Back in Bunker Hill History." Bunker Hill Gazette-News, November 20, 2014.